Planning and Zoning

Building Inspector & Zoning Enforcement Officer
Building Commissioner

The Building Inspector & Zoning Enforcement Officer reviews building plans and insures that they comply with the BOCA and City codes. He issues building permits for all building projects in which structural changes are made. He makes periodic inspections throughout the project to insure compliance. He enforces the City’s planning & zoning ordinance regarding use of property.

The Building Commissioner holds hearings regarding dangerous and unsafe buildings or structures and enforces the City’s ordinance on Dangerous and Unsafe Buildings.

Click here to see City ‘s planning & zoning ordinances

Click here to see City’s Planning & Zoning handbook

Building Permits

Building permits are required for all construction projects which entail structural changes and or electric upgrades. Applications are available at City Hall. All contractors and subcontractors working on the project must have a business license. The building inspector determines the amount of the building permit and all associated charges, which must be paid prior to the permit being issued.

Site Plans

Site plans are required to be prepared and approved for all commercial construction projects. The site plan must show the location of the project and address utility service and drainage. See sec. 90-226 to 90-275. Site plans must be filed with City Hall no later than 2:00 P.M., five days prior to the meeting in which they will be reviewed. Ex: site plan to be reviewed on Thursday. Site plan must be submitted to City Hall by 2:00 P.M. on the previous Friday. Twelve (12) copies of all applicable documents pertaining to the site plan being submitted along with a filing fee of $50.00.

All site plans must include:

  • Owner’s name
  • Property Location
  • Description of Project
  • Documentation stating that all information required as per City ordinance 90-270 has been provided.
  • Description of the services that the project described in the site plan will require from the City of Monroe City.

Failure to provide the requested information will result in the site plan not being processed.

Click here to see required site plan documentation


Owners desiring to change the zoning of their property must submit an application to the City along with a $190.00 filing fee. A public hearing conducted by the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of Aldermen is required for all zoning changes. Notice of hearing must be published in the local newspaper twice, with the first publication not less than 15 days from the date of the hearing. If the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of Aldermen approves the zoning change, the Board of Aldermen must adopt an ordinance approving this change.

Click here for an application to have property rezoned


Owners desiring to erect a structure on their property that does not meet certain requirements of the planning & zoning ordinances may request a variance from these changes. Typically variances are to relax the setback requirements and the size of the structure. In order to obtain a variance, owners must submit an application and submit a filing fee of $50.00. A public hearing must be held. All property owners within 100 feet must be notified by certified mail. The City’s Board of Adjustments conducts the public hearings and has the right to grant or deny the variance request.

Click here for an application for a variance

What is a Conditional Use Permit
This is a permit that allows a non conforming use. Example: property is zoned R-2 residential. Retail store which requires C-1 commercial zoning wants to operate on that property. They would be allowed to do so if they obtained a conditional use permit which would allow that specific use of the property. Conditional use permits require a public hearing and must be approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of Aldermen. Conditional use permits are recorded by the county recorder.

Click here for a conditional use permit application

To view the 2016 Property Tax Records including location, zoning & parcel number in location order:

Click Here

To view the 2016 Property Tax Records including location, legal description, parcel number & zoning in location order 

Click Here

The property tax records have been compiled from the tax roles from Monroe, Marion & Ralls Counties dated July 2014.  If you need information on ownership of properties that have been transferred after July 2014, please contract either the Assessor’s Office or the Recorder of Deeds Office of the respective county.  Due to privacy issues, we do not put the names of property owners on our website.  If you need to know who owns property in Monroe City, please come to City Hall or call (573)735-4585 option 1.